Progress Report 2

It’s been a while since I posted an update on my interventive conservation work. I’m still working away on my leather reback, slowly but surely. Between working on the in-situ books and other activities I have had little time to focus on this project lately. Luckily, in the last few days I have had time to get in a work little on it once again. Since my last update my book has started looking more like a book again.

I have put a small leather patch repair along the board edge where there was a portion missing.

Missing leather on edge of upper board

Leather repair to board edge before original leather is pasted down

Next I splayed out the new sewing cords and pasted them to the outside of the boards. I also pasted down the Japanese paper linings to the top of the boards, this secondary attachment will help prevent the board from sliding up and down.

Splayed out sewing supports and Japanese tissue pasted to outside of board under cover leather

Book after reattachment of boards before leather reback

Now the book is ready to receive its new leather reback. I have started the pairing process on my piece of leather using a pairing knife and spokeshave and should have it attached in the coming week!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Conservation. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s