This week Alessandro showed me his method for applying a new spine lining to a book that still has its leather covering. In the case of this book I had to re-sew about eight folios back in around the original supports. Once that was done we felt that the textblock would benefit from a Japanese paper lining.
With a lot of innovation Alessandro has figured out a method to apply a new lining without disturbing the cover leather. First two strips of reemay were slipped between the leather and the spine. In the case of this book the leather had come away from the spine creating a natural hollow, making this process relatively easy.
Next the book was placed in a finishing press to compress the textblock in preparation for the lining. We also used the camera stand to hold the boards and provide support to the joints during this process.
Next I pasted strips of spine lining paper and put them between the reemay strips (reemay, pasted paper, reemay). The strips should be longer on the side with the paper, but enough reemay needs to be on the other side to pull them through. Once in place I pulled the reemay, paper and remay sandwich from one side to the other leaving a little extra Japanese paper on either side of the textblock. The piece of reemay closest to the textblock was then pulled out and the second piece left in place. After all the panels were lined, leaving the reemay in place I wrapped the book with a bandage to give some pressure on the new spine lining.
Finally, after enough drying time I removed the bandage and reemay. In the case of my book I cut the excess paper flush with the textblock, however if you needed more support for the joint you could use the paper as a flange for added joint support.